Pre-Basic, and no I don't mean "Basic"

Life was perfect. I was feeling finally content with how I was, how my life was. Perfect place, perfect people. Sure, I had two restaurant jobs that didn't pay the best, but I was exactly where I wanted to be and was finally living out the dream, nothing else mattered. As long as I had money to pay my bills and have my weekly sushi date with my new family, I was happy.
I always looked forward to Monday's and Tuesdays, because my boyfriend, Justin, didn't work those days. We could stay in bed all day, drink mimosa's and eat Oreo's. We'd order Deliver Dish and eat our feast in bed. I had a newfound love for Deliver Dish. In my hometown, we didn't even have a pizza delivery place, much less a delivery business that would get you food from any restaurant you wanted!  Heck, for an $8 delivery charge, plus tip (because the driver was making my whole day better), I could stay at home in my PJ's and not have to see people?! Sign me up, Scotty.
Things were so much better with Justin than I could have ever imagined things being. I was always the one that would get annoyed with a guy after 3 hours of hanging out because I would focus on that ONE thing that I disliked about him. I never was one to depend on a guy though, if I liked him then that's cool. But if not, then that was fine too. But, meeting Justin on Christmas Day was such a whirlwind for me. He came and knocked down all of my walls and made me realize (as cliche as this is) that truly, not all guys are the same. But as perfect as things were, I made some insane changes.
One day in February, I decided to get my hair cut. It's always been shoulder-length or shorter (even had a faux-hawk at 16, 'cuz IDGF apparently). I just did a basic little trim on the ends, and figured I might as well go big or go home. I got an undercut with a lotus shaved into it. I was never thought to be an undercut kind of girl, but I loved the freeing, "I didn't expect to do that, but I'm still rocking it" feeling that came with it. Justin thought it was cute, but was shocked when I came home with a shaved head and never mentioned wanting one before. I'm usually very vocal about my decisions and what's going on in this thick skull of mine.
I was at work the next day and a man in an Army uniform got in line to order a sandwich. I started talking to him and asking about what exactly he did in the Army. After we got to talking for a bit, he handed me his business card and suggested I come talk to him about opportunities in the Army. I figured, I've got nothing to lose. So the next day, I got up the courage to go to his office.
When I sat down, all three guys in uniform introduced themselves and made me feel so comfortable being there. All fear was gone. They told me about the opportunities, and how the lifestyle is so much more than you could ever expect to have. It sounded perfect for me. I went to college for 2 semesters because I couldn't afford much more than that. I always was called a "wanderlust" because I had such a fascination for travel. I could take orders well. And had been going to the gym non-stop so I was very fit and ready to do this.
"All I need to hear from you is that you're going to do it," the sergeant said to me once we got through talking about his experiences in Germany and all of the college he got for free.
"YES!" And we signed the paper, and started the process. For the next 7 weeks life was so stressful. Filling out government paperwork, going through all of my life belongings and packing everything up, going to the MEPS in Portland for doctors to poke and pry at me. I got declined not just once, but twice until I could provide more paperwork saying that I was fit and able to be a United States Soldier. Apparently, it's pretty difficult to get in when you have knee surgery. I never had wanted anything more than this, it was a tie with moving to Oregon. When they were telling me that I was unfit for the military, it broke me down. I was so thankful to have Justin with me during that time. He was always there to listen, to hug me, and to bring me some good mimosa's. After one particularly stressful day, I got home and he was there sleeping, waiting for me. I was so upset and just wanted a slice of Sherry's homemade pie (one of the best places to get pie in Oregon). So he got out of bed, and drove to get me a slice of pie at 2 A.M. I was so thankful for him. Finally another week later, and my third time taking the 2 hour drive to Portland, I got accepted. Along the way, I met so many kids that were doing the same thing I was. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, we were all different, but all had the same thoughts in our minds, "I'm ready to serve this country." When I got accepted, I was ecstatic and nervous. Would I make it? How would I feel when the drill sergeants yell at me? Will my running time be good enough? And one week later, I took the final 2 hour trip to Portland to ship out to Fort Jackson, South Carolina. My stomach did flops every time I thought about it. Justin was on the verge of tears every time we talked about it. He was so sad to see me leave, so soon after everything was perfect. But it's what I do, I always leave. We agreed that after that 3 long months in Basic, we would see where things went. Neither of us wanted to say goodbye and we didn't want to leave each other, but it was something I had to do. It was the next step in my life.
Getting on that plane from Portland, Oregon, to go back to the Eastern side of the United States made me question everything. I just left the life I always dreamed about having, after only having a taste of it for 6 months. For what? For people to scream at me and tell me I was worthless? Oh, what did I do? But I knew, as the plane got closer and closer to South Carolina, that the dream life I left would fuel me to do the best I can. If I passed, I would get to travel like I always wanted to. Germany, Hawaii, different states, different countries, it all sounded so exhilarating. If I failed..oh if I failed...

Comments

Popular Posts