My Coastal Vacation

Saturday Night

I'm currently sitting at the bar, sipping a moscow mule, listening to a jazzy, folky 3 man band, waiting for some truffle fries and mushroom flatbread, alone on this Saturday night. It's everything I could've asked for.
I've planned this for a month now, taking a Saturday and Sunday off work (the only 2 days I've asked for off since I've worked there), and going to a spa resort totally alone. Not having to answer to anyone or have a schedule is literally the dream. I researched bed and breakfasts in the mountains, modern hotels in Portland, and finally decided on Salishan Spa and Golf Resort in Gleneden Beach on the coast of northern Oregon. Salishan is a premier coastal spa and golf resort, ultimately I chose it based on their online ratings and prices. Upon arrival, I was anything but disappointed.
But before I get to that, let's talk about the trip from Eugene to Gleneden Beach. I can't remember ever just being able to explore without much of a time limit and without someone elses schedule interfering. I woke up this morning bright and early at 6:30 and decided to actually get out of bed at 7:30. I took my time cleaning and getting ready and finally left around 9. With the power of my large Triple Threat Dutch Bros coffee in hand (and the cute broista flirted real hard) and my road trippin' playlist on Spotify playing, I was ready for an adventure.
I drove to Florence, which is the nearest coastal city to Eugene, so I could drive the 101 straight north. I stopped at Heceta Head Lighthouse, like I've done so many times before. But this time, I jogged up to the top of the cliff and to the lighthouse, felt like I was at the tip of the world, and then tumbled back down the pathway to the beach. It was exhilarating to be running at the land's end and the ocean's beginning, especially in the rain. It felt cleansing.
Continuing up 101, I continued along the coast. As I was driving, I'd get lost looking at the ocean, and would try to imagine how many me's it would take to fill up that vast space like the water does. Then I realize how small that makes me. And how small my problems are. I just got lost in rambling thoughts about nothing too important.
Depoe Bay is about 10 miles south of where I'm staying for the weekend. Along the highway there's the "Whale, Sea life and Shark Museum", so I decided to stop. For a mere $5, you can see sea life bones, life scale models of numerous water creatures, and even whale...eyelashes...? I think that big fleshy looking thing with hair hanging off of it was an eyelid or something. I bought my daughter a stuffed whale toy and it wasn't even priced too badly. If I were ever in the area again, I'd definitely stop in once more. Next time I would make sure to go on the whale watching tour, too.
I continued north for another 10 miles and reached Salishan. Guys, I"m not kidding when I tell you just walking to the damn door made me feel transported to paradise. There were trickling waterfalls and beautiful stones to welcome me in. The girls at the front desk were terrific, and one gave me a tour of the spa. The steam room, women's only hot tub, co-ed outdoor infinity pool, sauna, and they even had a giant fluffy robe and sandals waiting for me. I still had over an hour until my massage, so I relaxed in the hot tub and then sat by the indoor floating fireplace while sipping infused water and tea.  Everything about that place was amazing, including the facial and body massage I got.
The lodging and golf course are across the street from the spa, so after I was done I made the short trek over. Everywhere I looked, I thought to myself, "Wow, I love that. That's beautiful." ABOUT EVERYTHING. My room is hands down the most amazing one I've been in. Granite countertops on the bar and in the bathroom, a stone fireplace, and the view is overlooking the golf course. Everything about it was luxury. Oh man, I could stay here forever.
It was around 7 pm by the time I got settled into the room, and hadn't eaten all day (and had been taking advantage of Oregon's liberal views all day too), so I was starving. It made sense to go the bar on grounds, Attic Lounge. That's where I drank my Moscow mule, at my fries, listened to the band. My night ended early as I went back to the room after only one drink.
 
Sunday Morning
Good morning! I don't know if it was that drink or what, but I feel really blah this morning. Also, can you be sore from a back massage!? My shoulders kill me! When I first woke up, I started getting anxious about time and trying to make a plan for the day. I also was kind of lonely for the first time this trip. I woke up and thought, "that'd be goals, to look over the golf course and cuddle in a king size bed and not have to do anything." I wish there was someone...but I stopped myself and went out on my little porch overlooking a the course's pond and smoked a little joint and just took it in. "Relax. The point of this trip is to not have a plan. Just go with it. Treat yoself." Annnd, I'm good. I do have somewhat of a plan for the day though. First stop, go to the Whale Watching Center in Depoe Bay and hope to see some whales that are travelling up to Alaska. I have a reservation for lunch at Local Ocean Seafoods. The reviews online were amazing, and their mission statement is, "To give people the best seafood experience of their lives." It was an easy decision for me to pick this spot! After lunch, I want to check out the "Ripley's Believe it or Not!" museum right down the street. I drove by there yesterday and it looked fun. It's a part of the Mariner Squart in Newport, and they have tons of touristy things to see (like a Mackinac Island with cars). When I get back down to Yaquina Head Lighthouse, I have to go explore there. It boasts the title of "Oregon's tallest lighthouse."

Sunday Night

Today was exhausting, in a fantastic way. After I left my room, I drove down to Depoe Bay and did the whale watching for a couple minutes. I only saw one really far away, so, slightly disappointing but that's okay (trying to stay positive)! My lunch at Local Ocean Seafood in Newport was everything I read about online, and more. I got to sit in the very closest table overlooking the bridge and docks along Newport's coast. The fish and chips were unlike anything I’ve ever had, and I even did an oyster shooter (not too bad either)!! But that view was breathtaking.
After lunch I did decide to wander to Ripley's museum. I was obsessed with the Ripley’s book when I was younger, and the museum was still as fascinating. They did a great job creating the museum to be informative without being blah. And I actually got a little jumpy walking through a couple parts!
After leaving Newport, I made many stops along the coast to just breathe in that salty ocean air. I stopped at the Flower Pot, and the ladies working behind the counter were phenomenal! They had great deals (CBD oil pens for 50% off, score!), and tons of selections of flower. You know, I had to relax on my vacation, also, it's Oregon!
So, I left my room in Gleneden Beach around 10 am, and I didn't get home to Eugene until almost 7 pm. It's normally a two and a half hour drive. That's how fascinating the views and cute little shops were. I was stopping every 15 minutes to look out across the sand to the deep blue. If you’d like to look at the pictures from the trip, here’s the link to look at my collection (I'm slowly trying to add more pictures). Or follow my on Instagram for more pictures, here. I did not have one bad experience at any of the stops, every person was warm and welcoming and helped enhance this mini trip.
It was freeing to wander aimlessly and have no plans and nobody telling me what to do. I suggest that everyone takes a little trip to unwind and leave reality, even if just for a day or two. I came back refreshed, and ready to conquer all! And hopefully this helps you find some cool little places to stop at, if you’re ever along the Oregon coast. You won’t be disappointed!
 

Comments

Popular Posts